So You Wanna be a TV Writer?
Take this Test
true or false
1. I loved school, especially homework. The pressure of always having
term paper/doctoral dissertation due makes me have an orgasm whether I
want one or not.
2. I love staying indoors writing at my computer on July 4th while
everyone else is having fun in the sun, swimming, and barbecuing.
3. I love being rewritten, especially when they perform a joke-ectomy
on my hilarious script and then tell me it’s not funny. Hahaha.
4. I want to be a staff writer so I can help them gang bang and wreck
my perfect script.
5. Sleep and home cooked meals are for pussies and girlie men. I’d
rather work than sleep any night. It's my dream to eat cold take-out
from Styrofoam boxes.
6. I love fatigue, especially dozing off on the 405 at 4 AM and waking
up just before my car hits the guardrail. That’s my kind of thrill!
7. Nothing rattles me. Sexual jokes at my expense totally crack me up!
I love it.
8. I love that people think I’m joking when I say “I have no life.”
9. I like being overpaid and spending my work day sitting around a
table making jokes and laughing with the six funniest people I have
ever met in my entire life.
IF YOU ANSWERED TRUE TO QUESTIONS 1-9 then hurry up
and finish your two hilarious spec scripts already and get a staff job
IF YOU ANSWERED FALSE TO QUESTIONS 1-8 AND TRUE
TO QUESTION 9, then keep your day job (if you have one) and
get some therapy as soon as you can afford it.
U Can QUOTE ME! (interviews 'n reviews!)
|WGA Strike of 2008
Videos, cartoons, photos
HAVING IT ALL IN HOLLYWOOD (How a Mary Tyler Moore Writer Cracked the Glass Ceiling Using her Pointy Head)
by Karyl Miller
As long as women have kids and careers, the question of whether we can HAVE IT ALL isn’t going to go away
anytime soon. Last year, in an article in The Atlantic, “Why Women Still Can’t Have it All,” Ann-Marie Slaughter
mentioned the pioneer femi-nazis (not her term) of the previous generation for having to be “like men” to succeed
in the bad old Mad Men days. The next generation (mine) only had to be better than men to get ahead. We were
the first women to run ourselves ragged in the workplace read MORE
NCS/SCCS Annual Comic-Con
Kick Off Party
Jen Sorensen "Slowpoke Comics," Brendan
Burford (King Features), & Karyl
Lisa Wilson (United Media), R.C Harvey, & Karyl
Holly Harris, Karyl & Lily Tomlin